Salzburg, Austria - Day 5

18th September
Welfen


Today, my brother and I were determined to go on a bike trip to some place. At first we planned to have a trip from Salzburg city to the lake Königssee which would roughly be 30km. However, due to potentially hilly roads, we instead decided to head north to Werfen from the town we are at, St. Johann im Pongau. Mum and dad would travel by train and meet us there a little afterwards. We rented two bikes from the hotel and courageously headed on our way...

...and to describe our first attempt of the trip in shrt: epic fail! Or more appropriately, total disaster. It wasn’t even 10 minutes after we left before I found myself flat on the ground, gathering the attention of several people around me. In no time, while my parents were waiting for us at Werfen, I found myself at the hospital of another town whose name I can’t remember. I didn’t tell my mum yet that I have a few broken teeth and risking serious permanent problems with my spine. I’m kidding...I just know she reads this. It’s nothing too serious. Here’s a photo of me, taken by my guardian brother who accompanied me all along:


Hey, I couldn’t quite smile at that moment.

I can’t thank my brother enough for being so helpful with his encouraging words.

“That cut you got is so deep.”

“You’ve really ripped your skin there...”

But joking apart, I sincerely am thankful to him (...for keeping all this, a secret to my parents. Ehh, joking again). Anyway, after two and a half hours at the hospital and trying to get back, we made a second attempt of our trip and made our way to Werfen, this time, successfully. The bike lanes are nothing compared to Malta’s. During most of the trip, we were amidst the greenery and beside a wide river, enjoying the beautiful views of the vast mountains ahead and around.



At Werfen, the family united at the Hohenwerfen fortress, the second castle we visited in Austria. Once again, it was a nice attraction, possessing interesting objects on display (such as the armoury and large old-fashioned mechanical clock) along with a likewise-interesting history. At the fortress itself, there also was a bird show given, featuring falcons, eagles and vultures flying around, with some of them simulating a hunt, while others catching food thrown into the air. Here are a few selected photos of the castle and the bird show:



We had planned to visit the ice caves as well on the same day. However, due to my unfortunate accident, we lacked the time to do so, and in fact we all headed back to St. Johann after the castle visit, me and my brother riding the way back.

1 comments:

  1. Michael Debono Mrđen Says:

    darn, your chin! at least you look happy in the photo :P

    nice shot of the bike, large wheel on the road, green grass and mountains ahead, and cables in the sky.